Friday, December 13, 2013

Let's Get Real

fe·lic·i·ty: noun\fi-ˈli-sə-tē\

: great happiness
: something that is pleasing and well chosen
: joy



I used to read a lot of  "idealistic life" blogs. 

You know the ones... the house is always gorgeously clean and in the perfect neighborhood. The kids are always smiling, photo shoot ready, and they complete their chore charts everyday without a fight. The mom is always a perfect size (whatever that is) & she wears the cutest hair, scarf , & boots then takes pictures of herself doing so with a caption like "can't believe I am posting this...I look awful today!".  Don't get me started on the husband...he has the perfect job, looks like a GQ model, never leaves a wet towel on the bed, & always picks up his dirty clothes. Oh, and to round out this sitcom worthy life, the dog doesn't shed & has never had an accident in the house. 

Of course I am exaggerating...kind of. 

Often times, after 15 minutes of my precious free time I left my computer having coveted a home, a family, and a situation that seemed ideal; a life that appeared to be "perfect". Basically, I would leave those sites feeling inferior, like a failure,and like an inadequate wife & mom for my family. 

It is so easy to forget that the information most people share online is just a glimpse of their true everyday life. This truth pertains to Instagram, Facebook, blogs, or whatever online or social media you are a part of. 

It is easy to hide behind a screen & "paint" a pretty picture for others to see. Perhaps some are even painting a picture of what they wish their life would/could be.

So, where am I going with this?

Let me get something out in the open from the beginning...I'm not perfect & I'm human.

I yell at my kids. I hate doing laundry & I sometimes don't sweep my floor for 3 days in a row. I have mood swings & pity parties. I'm not above feeding my kids leftover cake for breakfast on a Saturday, and I argue with my husband....you get the point right?

On this blog I am going to strive to be authentic. While I will do my best to be 100% real,  I refuse to focus on the bad (aka selfish/sinful) moments of my everyday. Just as every other person on earth my days are sometimes absolutely horrible, but you know what? God has called me to be joyful. He has taught me that everything is beautiful in it's own way, even the hard stuff. Seasons change, and I am going to strive to be joyful in all seasons of my life. 

It is by God's GRACE alone that I do anything well. It is only Him who makes things in my life beautiful.He promises that in HIM I will find hope, I will be joyful, I will be fulfilled. 

He promises felicity.

xoxo ~Heather

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Fight for that freedom to be real- in the process it sets others free! Love you! Can't wait to read more:)

    ReplyDelete